Arthur Hoehn hosts classical music on MPR, weekdays from 11 to noon. When solicited for his top ten favorites, set us up with this list, noting: "These are the recordings either catching my current fancy of ones I find myself craving when my musical PH gets unbalanced."
1. Telemann: Hamburg Admiralty Music (CPO 999 373-2)
"The Alsfelder Vocal Ensemble and Bremen Baroque Orchestra are directed by Wolfgang Helbich in various Telemann works peculiar to his municipal musicdirectorship."
2. Villanelle - French Masterworks for Horn. (ArabesqueZ6678)
David Jolley collaborates with soprano, piano and harp in 19th & 20th works.
3. The Brodsky Quartet plays Mozart's "Hunt" quartet and Op.54/No.2by Haydn. (Silva 6012)
4. German Choral Music - The Stockholm Radio and Chamber choirs sing works by Brahms, Reger, Schoenberg and Strauss, including landmark performances of Deutsche Motette and Der Abend. Eric Ericson, cond. (Anget 47691)
5. The Netherlands Wind Ensemble plays Beethoven.(Chandos 9470)
"The Harmonie Ensemble Octet (Op.103). Pianist Peter Donohoe joins for the piano-winds quitet (0p.16) and the member-adapted version of Symphony No.7."
6. The Film Scores-Bernard Herrmann
"Esa-Pekka Salonen and the Los Angeles Philharmonic play preludes and suites from the likes of "Man who Knew too Much," "North by Northwest," "Fahrenheit 451," "Torn Curtain" and "TaxiDriver." (Sony 62700)
7. Showboat and other Jerome Kern classics The Fred Stride Orchestra (CBC 1099)
8. Joaquin Turina Chamber Music - Vol. III
"Quartet Sine Nomine and friends bring to light important pages of the Turina catalogue unvisited in the nearly 50 years since his passing." (Claves 50-9320)
9. Turn of the Century Cello "Works by Goldmark, Suk, Webern and R. Strauss are played by Christoph Stradner and pianist, Charles Owen." (Dorian 80145)
10. The Audubon Quartet plays "American Dreams"/string quartet No.1 by Peter Schickele and Quartet No.6 by Ezra Laderman. (RCA 7719)